June 29, 2010

The Flow of Creation

Peace settles over me in the most soothing way when I venture into the Blue Ridge mountains.  The trek up here always ignites a fire in me (and my accelerator).  I love riding the curving mountain roads, and these days my GPS provides a new perspective, disclosing the upcoming hairpin turns.  What fun!

Once I'm here, I relax and sink into the green mountains and fresh tree-oxidized air.  Everything feels new and fresh and familiar and old at once.

From this place, I write, finding that the words flow with little effort.  So each year, I agree to the excursion and pack my writing materials, good books for inspiration, and a plan to write.

Some of my best material began in these mountains, ideas that unroll like they spill down the side of a mountain and into my innermost creative thoughts.  I would stay here longer if I could, but reality claims me and soon I must go.

Until then, I will write and breathe and live the joy of creation.

Where do you escape to write?  What places inspire you or give you the fresh perspective that completes you?

6 comments:

Bob Strother said...

I wrote one of my first stories while at the beach, sitting on a screened-in porch, watching a squadron of pelicans, and sipping on a cold glass of Chardonnay. Another came while I was riding back from Flagstaff with my wife, stepdaughter, and grandson in tow, and Sponge Bob Square Pants playing on a portable DVD player. I think I must escape into my head. Sometimes. it's the only place to go.

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful, creative time!

Tina

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way when I go to the mountains! I am saving your material for the beach next week! Cant wait!-Christina T.

Barbara V. Evers said...

Bob, I know what you mean. I've written in planes, doctor's waiting rooms, coffeeshops, and airport terminals. I've written quite a lot at the beach, too. When the muse comes, I can't deny it, but I sure love the inspiration that the mountains give me... and the peace and quiet.

Valerie said...

Mountains are wonderful. When I go to the beach, I want to loll in the sun, swim, and read books, not write them. When I'm in the mountains, I write.

Steve Gordy said...

It may sound creepy, but on a recent trip to the Northeast, I visited Grove Street Cemetery in New Haven, Connecticut; I went to pay my respects to some of my profs from grad school. I found it was an atmosphere highly conducive to thought. Of course, the problem is trying to get back there whenever I need a moment of inspiration.