The other day it occurred to me that I needed some outside perspective on this. No matter how many agents' blogs I've read about query letters and pitch paragraphs, I kept putting way too much information into my pathetic efforts. I'm too close to the characters to trim it down. So, I asked two of my beta readers to write what they would put on the back cover of my book. They agreed with a lot of enthusiasm and what they came up with was so obvious I laughed out loud. Now I have a log line that I'm almost happy with and I've taken their approaches and created a short pitch paragraph. Well, actually, I have four different paragraphs that I'm going to play around with until it sounds right. Thanks Christina and Sarah!
I think the next time, I'll be better at this, but outside help worked for me. What about you? How do you get that pitch paragraph just right?
In other news, Daina Rustin, Mystic Treehouse , tagged me the other day. Hi Daina! So, now I have to share 10 random facts about myself and tag 5 more people. Here goes!
- I'm sitting in Barnes & Noble right now trying to make the best of my time between appointments.
- I have 5 children and 3 grandchildren but feel free to tell me I look too young for that!
- This is the first platform building campaign I've done, and I'm realizing that time management must be forefront in my mind during these two months.
- I'm a trained public speaker and typically speak to groups on motivational and/or Christian themes.
- I'm certified to teach and administer the Myers Briggs Type Indicator.
- I met my husband when I was 17 and dating his older brother. Seventeen years, later I married him.
- I have a Bachelor's degree in Zoology and a Master's degree in Professional Communication.
- People who knew me while I was growing up thought I was shy...Fooled them!
- I'm going to the South Carolina Writers' Workshop writing conference Oct. 21-23 in Myrtle Beach, SC. (info at www.myscww.org)
- I love the mountains.
OK, so 5 people to tag (Due to # 3 above, I'm in too much of a hurry to do the proper html, so I'm just typing the URL's here:
Rebekah Loper: http://blackanddarknight.wordpress.com
R. L. Blackhurst: http://rlblackhurst.weebly.com/ (Please support her because she's just getting started on her blog)
Tia Bach: http://depressioncookies.blogspot.com/
Carole St. Laurent: http://www.carolestlaurent.com/romanceandbeyond/Blog/Blog.html
And my work is done.