What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

Last week, I visited my granddaughter's fourth grade class for Career Day. Since I wear a lot of hats, the kids decided I was rich. Hah! Not likely. Still, it was fun to talk to them about writing, training, editing, blogging, and speaking.

I started by asking them what they want to be when they grow up. Every one of them wanted to share. I had twenty minutes and twenty-four willing participants, so I didn't hear from everyone, but I was amazed at how many of them wanted to work in the sciences.

Then I told them what I wanted to be at their age.  Here's a hint:

Courtesy of Pixabay.com


Yep. I wanted to fly through the air on the trapeze. Of course, I explained, I never got a chance to do that (I have zip-lined, though). Then, I told them I, also, wanted to be a writer and a teacher at their age. I even showed them the book I wrote, illustrated, and "bound" when I was ten.

For fun, I  brought in every journal that published one of my stories or essays. I was shocked, and a wee bit pleased, at the size of the stack. I realize many of you have larger stacks than me, but it made me feel good about my writing during a time when things have been a bit slower than normal. (More about that next week.)

So, my challenge to you:  Volunteer to speak to your local school's students on Career Day. Let those artistic kids know their dreams are worth dreaming. Show them you don't have to be J. K. Rowling to succeed at writing. Or, if you're not a writer, share your career with them. These kids didn't know someone could do the things I do and get paid. They need to know about their options.

Just for fun, please comment below and tell me what you wanted to be when you were nine or ten years old. Are you doing it or doing something you didn't even know existed (corporate training, for example)?

Comments

Bob Strother said…
I wanted to be a newspaper reporter. I think I remember being seduced by a TV show called (I think) The Big Story. I took a journalism course at UGA, and worked for the Chattanooga News-Free Press for a few months after graduation, though not as a reporter. Funny how I can still remember the chills I got up and down my spine when that huge old press cranked up and spit out newspapers. It shook the whole building.
I don't recall the TV, but I get the fascination from your words. I never thought about the chills the presses, or some other work-related sounds, might create. That's pretty cool.

Popular posts from this blog

Skin Tone: Describing Your Characters

Character Development: Using the Johari Window

Should Christians Watch The Hunger Games?