Complying With GDPR

© Barbara V Evers, All Rights Reserved
The new European Union's GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) comes into effect on May 25, 2018. It's purpose is to protect your data and privacy. Although I'm based in the US, I do have readers in the countries where this policy applies.

For that reason, I want my readers to know that I don't collect your data personally, but most blog sites capture the following personal data:
  • Blog post comments data (name, email, IP)
  • Traffic stats plugins/tools such as Google Analytics
  • 3rd party hosted services such as Jetpack, Bloglovin’ and Disqus
  • Email signup forms such as Mailchimp or FeedBurner
  • Contact forms
  • Issues relating to the location of your web host. E.g. data is transferred to servers outside the EU
I am not a legal expert, but these are the steps I've taken:

  • Mailchimp made it simple. If you regularly receive SCWA Greenville chapter emails from me , please watch for an email asking for your consent to receive those emails in the future. If you don't provide that consent, you won't receive the updates about our meetings.
  • Blogger, I've been told is compliant since it doesn't send me your email and contact info when you comment on the blog.
  • Wordpress does send website owners the email information of followers and commenters, so I've updated my sites on their platform to share their Privacy and Cookie policy. At this point, I'm not sure if there is anything else I need to do on these sites. You can check out those two sites here:  The Workbench of Faith  and  Eversworks.

I'm in the process of updating and revising the Eversworks site, so feel free to let me know your  thoughts or suggestions on its layout, appearance, information, etc.

At this point, I've done all I know how to do.

What problems and/or solutions have you dealt with or considered in order to be compliant with GDPR?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skin Tone: Describing Your Characters

Character Development: Using the Johari Window

Should Christians Watch The Hunger Games?