Sharing Success Stories

One of the best benefits of being part of a writing community is our ability to celebrate successes with each other. I had so much going on over the last few months that I never got around to sharing the news of my latest short story publication, "The Wall" published by moonShine review in late November.

This story marks a first for me--they invited me to submit to this special 15 year anniversary issue! It feels so different writing a story that the editors hope will fit their needs. The invitation did not guarantee acceptance of my story, but it's great to be asked.

I'll admit I struggled a bit with one part of this submission--they decided to choose a theme, something they've never done in the past. I'm ok with themes, but this one was politics. The exact phrasing in the invitation said:

"...so we invite you to submit stories and photos about “politics”—whatever definition or connotation of that word is completely up to you. Be creative and think “outside the box” as we know you can!"

Ugh. I don't like to write about politics, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I did find a way to write something that felt comfortable to me. My story does cover politics but not in the way you might expect.

You can order a copy on moonShine review's website if you're interested.



In Other News

A few weeks ago, I received an invitation from South Carolina Writers' Association (SCWA) to teach a workshop for their writing conference in April. I have a plethora of workshop topics I have taught in conferences and local workshops. They chose one on editing before submitting your work:

Dot Your I’s and Cross Your T’s:  Don’t Let Errors Ruin Your Submission

Between reading slush pile submissions, running our local critique group, judging writing contests, and freelance editing, I've seen several errors that most writers can avoid if they know what to look for. This workshop will focus on those issues.

If you're interested in attending a writing conference this year, SCWA usually has a wonderful weekend full of great (not talking about me, here) instructors from the publishing community. Check it out, and if you do attend, make sure you stop by and say hello.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skin Tone: Describing Your Characters

Character Development: Using the Johari Window

Should Christians Watch The Hunger Games?